Friday, May 4, 2007

Lessons of Impermanence

If anything, the greatest lesson learnt was from my bipolar disorder/order. Everything was fleeting, changeable, always impermanent. First manifested in my moods then spilling over to every other aspect of my life: My emotions, my desires, my thoughts, my perceptions, my beliefs, my relationships. At first it was hard; trying to maintain some kind of consistency and stability in my mood, my search for neurotransmitter permanence, resist the constant influx of mood changes. Failed attempts at mood stability, spilling over and allowing an acceptance of the transience of everything else: My emotions, my desires, my thoughts, my perceptions, my beliefs, my relationships. The ephemerality bred my “grain of salt” mentality. I have ceased to take anything seriously, my militant opinions, my dreams, my revelations, my realizations, my oh so intense emotions. Impermanent. I wait for my feelings towards you to fleet, I wait, I wait, and I wait. I’m still waiting. This scares me, I’m still waiting. When I woke up today, I realized they just got too damn serious and I couldn’t take them with a grain salt anymore. It’s been a long wait for how I feel about you to fleet. I’m still waiting.

4 comments:

Polarimbi said...

hi bam. i saw your comment on txandi's latest blog post and felt similarly about how beautiful it was. i also feel like my blog is another bipolar blog and that sometimes i am bipolar, and that sometimes i'm not. i was diagnosed two years ago, it profoundly altered my life. i find it hard to make sense of what was happening in life before my diagnosis. chaos, mostly. i appeared productive with all the degrees, but life was eroding, now i am learning to manage and accept the shifts better. like even when i want to die, i just have to laugh because i "know" what's going on. well, sort of. take care.

Philip Brubaker said...

Good words. Directed at someone in particular?

Baham Abu Sarj said...

polarimbi: You know no matter how shitty it gets if you keep it in my mind, these are cognitive distortions these are not run just tinted glasses you put on for limited period of time, it will be easier for you to laugh. Like oh i'm so miserable today, the world sucks i want to kill myself hahahha. it becomes something you can laugh about. And if anything i've found the more i can laugh about something well the easier it gets.I love the absurd and bipolar really had made see how absurd everything is

pj: Thanks, definitely directed at some particular. Its one of those: oh shit, didn't think i'd fall in love complicated situations (long distance/very different life plans etc etc). One day at a time kinda things

txandi prost said...

bam, i,

regret my brevity, driven by circumstances at hand.

commit with certainty, a return to read your blog.

~t~